Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ba-Ba-Bad Blogger!


This blogging thing is relatively new to me, so forgive my 20/20 hindsight - I realize now that I should have gotten the word out about this event in advance. Live and learn... Last Friday night (almost a week ago now) I went to see my hero, Riane Eisler, speak at the First Unitarian Church in downtown Portland. She was the keynote speaker for a local group beginning to try and find ways of implementing "a caring economy", which is a concept that comes directly from Riane Eisler's book, "The Real Wealth of Nations". Unfortunately, I can't talk much about "Real Wealth" because I haven't yet read it - my library (if you don't already know, I'm a library addict) doesn't own a single copy yet :-( . But, I will try to put the concept in a nutshell (forgive me if I butcher it unrecognizably). "The Real Wealth of Nations" is based on the idea that we should be, like some of the Scandinavian countries are already, counting into our GNP, the work of caregiving - including childcare, teaching, childrearing and elder care. We should be including the very important work of, excuse the term, housewives, without whom no other work could get done. She sights the disparity between what a plumber makes per hour compared to what a childcare worker or public school teacher earn. Not to mention that childcare workers, by and large, do not need any certification compared to the kinds of licensing we require for other professions. I can't wait to read it all and digest it and discuss it in the future, but for now, I suggest to you: If you can, go out and buy it and buy copies for your local library, too (and, mine, if you can)!!
This was the first time I had seen Riane in person and heard her speak (aside from videos). For me, it was like going to see the Beatles or Gandhi and it really didn't matter what she was going to talk about...I became a 5-year-old sponge again, soaking up her energy, eloquence and grace. After the talk, a few friends and I stayed in the chapel discussing a myriad of things, and finally made it to the reception room a half hour later. I was not entirely sure that I had the guts to talk to Riane, even though I knew she would be available for book signing. But, in my bag, I had tucked away a print of one of my collages (from my Bird Women series based on the work of Marija Gimbutas, who I learned about from reading "The Chalice and The Blade") and a letter that I had begun writing to Dr. Eisler last May. I was surprised to find that the line at her table was not long, so I went and stood behind the person who was speaking with her and waited my turn. When the time came, I shook her hand and, not knowing what else to say, started gushing about what a huge fan I am and how honored I was to meet her and how I've read almost everything she's ever written. She was quite gracious - used to meeting women like me, I suppose - and asked who I was. I told her I was an artist and a mother of a homeschooler and then found the opportunity to hand her my "gift". She stood up to receive it and we spoke of Marija Gimbutas and the bird goddesses for a few minutes before someone else came for her attention.
My friend and I exited at that point and I was elated that I had done the very thing I had come to do, despite much personal discomfort in doing so!!! Yeah for the introvert!
Just as a follow-up, I'll be displaying my Bird Women collages, prints, bookmarks and free coloring books at the Siren Nation Festival this Sunday, November 4 (11-4pm), at the Kennedy School in NE Portland. I can't wait to talk to people about my favorite subject!
Until next time...

No comments: