Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Gylanic Child #3 - Alfie Kohn's Unconditional Parenting

I just picked up the book, "Unconditional Parenting" by Alfie Kohn from my local library. In July, I was invited to see him speak and wasn't able to attend, so I put the book on hold and have waited patiently for my turn to read it - 5 holds later. (You'll find that I am a huge fan of my public library and much of what I have to say will revolve around its use!)
I've barely skimmed the introduction and the first two chapters and already I am insisting that my husband and I read it together. I've wanted to do this many times with the many parenting books I've read, but never have I been so insistent (or successful, either). We did read the introduction last night, so I have hope that we'll follow it through to the end...together.
First a little bit of background.
My pregnancy was a surprise and my husband and I were not too young, but our relationship was too young. We were not seeking to become parents and so were in crisis about our pending parenthood. It isn't that I didn't want to have children, because I did, I just always imagined that things would work out differently, that I would have a career, or at the very least, be married. But, I guess I tend to be a bit of a passive-liver (it has nothing to do with processing foods, I assure you): events and people come my way and I deal with them the best I can. But, there isn't much that I seek from the external world (good books being one exception).
Well, my son is 7 years old now and my husband and I both homeschool him as we constantly struggle to make our living as artists. Some days our relationships seem just magical, but much of the time I find myself in this cycle of arguing and trying to coerce, manipulate and threaten my son into doing what I want him to do, when I want him to do it.
Granted, I grew up in a household where people didn't express their feelings very well. Both of my parents have a nasty temper and not a whole heck of a lot of patience. So, where I lack in assertiveness, I've made up for in anger. What am I angry about? Lots of things. The state of things in the world - war, suffering, injustice; my lack of financial stability and all of the things that I can't give my son because I've chosen to really be with him instead of pursuing a full-time career; the fact that I'm 33 and still haven't found what my big contribution in life is to be. Just underneath the surface, I feel angry about all of these things and although I have worked and continue to work hard to transform my anger into inner peace or at least positive thought, the anger is still there, waiting patiently for the least little frustration to set it off. Don't think I'm not taking responsibility. I know that I should have self control. But, this is something I didn't learn from my parents and I am in danger of not being able to teach it to my child, either.
I see very clearly now how vicious the cycle is. Alfie Kohn's premise seems to be that unconditional parenting requires the parent to think in terms of what they want their children to become, in the bigger picture, when deciding how to treat them now. It makes a great deal of sense. Do I want my child to do everything I tell him to do with no opinion or feelings of his own? No, I don't. And, I don't want him to be an adult who doesn't know how he feels or what he wants out of life unless someone else tells him, either. And, really, I don't think he has any problem in this area. He is exceedingly opinionated and forceful and argumentative because, I guess, I am trying to control him and he is rebelling. What scares me is that he's only seven and I fear what the teen years will be like if I don't figure out how to stop doing the things that I am doing so terribly wrong.
I know people who parent in just the way that Alfie Kohn proposes. They neither punish nor reward their children and they never have. My question is, now that I've produced this highly creative, intelligent yet angry and argumentative child, how can I help bring him, indeed bring my whole family, back to a place of mutual respect and tolerance?
Just a thought...
Mary Preiser Potts

No comments: